Monday 23 June 2014

Around the World Blog Hop . . .

 Hello, and welcome . . .  today it's my turn to take part in the Around the World Blog Hop.  The lovely Sarah from A Little Happy Place kindly invited me (have a wee peek at her post here) and the brief is to answer a few questions about your creative process & makes, and then to pass the baton on to another crafty bloggy peep or three.

So here goes:

What am I working on?

Is there such a thing as having too many WIPs on the go ?  Usually I like things to be orderly and tidy, and love to tick things off a list, but it seems that when it comes to making things, all that goes out the window, and I always seem to be juggling a variety of projects simultaneously. 
 So first up is a Scrappy Trip Around the World quilt which seems to have been in the making for absolutely ages.



Finally last week I finished all the blocks so the next step is to play around with the layout , arrange them into one pretty quilt top, add a simple border and complete the backing/quilting/binding process.  I will get there . . . one day . . . hopefully in the not too distant future.


 Next up is the making of 150 little bags in this fun London fabric - this is my priority at the moment and I'm trying to sew a few each day as this project has a deadline that I have to meet.
 I have to confess however that I'm a wee bit behind schedule as yesterday I chain-sewed a batch of 15 and when I came to turn them right-side out, I realised (much to my annoyance . . . the word "eejit" springs to mind) that I'd sewn them all the wrong way around.  Aaarghhh... (this being the polite way of expressing above-mentioned annoyance)


 These bags are a commission from the Hubby - they will eventually each contain a little mechanical puzzle.  The good news is that the cost of this fabric was deducted from his puzzle budget and not my fabric budget and I'm sure he way over-estimated the amount of fabric I'd need so there should be a decent amount left over for me afterwards.   Ssshhh . . . ; - )





And then there's a bit more of these fun British fabrics that I have all sorts of plans for - but I really must finish those 150 wee bags first.

Also on the almost-finished list at the moment is the vintage-style Juliet dress (another design from Sew Me Something) which just needs the armhole binding and the hem taken up . . .


. . . and another little Sewing Machine pincushion 


just like the one I made here.

 


And on my needles ?


 I've made a tiny bit of progress on this lovely lacy poncho.  It has something like 324 stitches and after almost 10 rows I realised I'd made a horrid mistake way back at the beginning so had to frog it and start again.  But again . . . like with all my WIPs . . . I will get there eventually.


How does my work differ from others of its genre ?

Hmmm . . . that's an interesting question, because I think that everyone's work and makes are unique to them.  Whilst lots of us may sew, quilt, knit, crochet etc etc, we each have our own individual styles and techniques that make each project different.  It always strikes me as amazing when I'm doing a crafty workshop or course, that there could be six of us making exactly the same thing, but each one's project will have a different look about it.  I love that about the art of making. 



Why do I create what I do ?

That's an easy one to answer:  Because I love to make things and learn new skills.  I'm inspired by the makes of others a lot, but if I see something that I like, I want to try and make it.  Sometimes my expectations and enthusiasm exceeds my ability, but I like to give things a go anyway.  You'll never know, if you don't try : - )



How does my writing/creating process work ?

A few years ago, we moved across the equator from the tip of Africa to this little island of Great Britain which we now call home, so I started my blog as a way of keeping a record of what I was making, and sharing it with my lovely crafty friends that I'd left behind.  Little did I know then how much I would come to love blogging and how many other lovely crafty friends I would come to know and meet in this wonderful blogland space. 
 I don't plan posts in advance, and very rarely do I sit down and draft one for publishing at a later date.  I tend to just take some pics and write around those, then hit the publish button. 
I sometimes wish I was more organized, and I always wish there was more time in the day to be able to visit all the other fabulous blogs that I follow & love to read.  But I know we're all in the same boat and rowing as fast as we can : - )

As for how my creating process works - I always want to start something new as soon as, and I do usually get around to completing things . . . although I will admit to having a few WIPs lurking in the depths of cupboards, in bags and under tables . . . 
Sigh . . . one day . . .


So that's it from me today, and without further ado, I'd like to send you off on your travels

. . .  please hop all the way south to Tasmania and pop in to the oh-so-fabulous Sarah Lizzies.  Kim creates just the most beautiful things and I'm constantly in awe of her makes.  Seriously, pop over, you'll see what I mean . . .

. . . then staying in the southern hemisphere, hop on to the tiny remote island of St Helena and say hello to the lovely Eleanor at Stitches & Seeds.  Eleanor blogs about her adventures - crafty & otherwise - on this south Atlantic island.  She makes some great things, sometimes with very limited resources that many of us take for granted -  I think the supply ship only visits the island once a month . . . but I could be wrong.  Rather pop over and ask Eleanor herself . . .

. . . then head back over the equator to the UK and visit the talented Jo at Three Stories High.  Jo makes something every day.  Seriously, she really does.  She amazes me with her creativity, I know you'll enjoy your visit.


Bon voyage lovelies,
thanks for stopping by.

'til next time
xoxo









19 comments:

  1. I really enjoyed this post Gilly! I've been reading your blog, but haven't found the time comment. I hurt my knee yesterday so have a little more time than usual this afternoon....
    Your makes are, as always, beautiful!

    I hope you had a lovely weekend!
    Sarah x

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh you have so much on the go Gilly, and all beautiful - pity about the slight problem with those bags but you'll soon have them fixed - and I really enjoyed reading more about you and getting a better understanding of what makes you tick. Your scrappy quilt is looking gorgeous, I love the colours and they're fresh and light too. I'll pop over to check your links when I'm not in the midst of cooking dinner .. .. . have just posted about the 'Kate' dress - many thanks again. Love, Joy xo

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love, love, love this post Gilly and have enjoyed reading a li'l more about your life. Love all your 'pretties', especially your scrappy round the world quilt.... and your cute as cute pin cushion!! 150 itty bitty bags...really?? Wow!! What a wonderful wife you are!! And....what a gorgeous sewing room (be still my beating heart).....I don't think I would ever come out again Oh...and about the "oh-so-fabulous" comment....the cheque is in the mail!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a lovely post Gilly! The little bags look lovely, and from the amount of fabric that you showed there should certainly be some left over!! Your quilt is beautiful and I look forward to seeing more of it as you continue to work on it. I love your sewing/craft room, it looks as though it is a lovely place to work, and lots of places to store all of your things away too! xx

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thank you for this entertaining and informative post! I always enjoy seeing where others work, and what they are up to. The colours of your TAW are lovely and fresh. I'm off to check out your links.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Lovely to read more about how and why you do your crafty thing Gilly. Good luck with all those tiny bags ... that's some task!

    ReplyDelete
  7. What a great read, Gill. I really enjoyed it. You're so talented. I love the look of that quilt you're working on!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Ah thanks for the link Gilly. You are making something everyday yourself there I would say! What a great bunch of stuff, it makes me want to pop over and help you along, I could do the hem on that lovely dress while you put the kettle on! He He Jo x

    ReplyDelete
  9. Gilly this is such an interesting post :-) I must now go check out those links xxx

    ReplyDelete
  10. Good luck with the 150 wee bags, Gilly. I'm sure you'll get them all done in time. I'm off for my tour of the globe now. :o)

    ReplyDelete
  11. lovely post as always! That bag fabric is just too cute!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Great post Gilly. Looks like those little bags will keep you busy for a while!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Your blog is such an inspiration. I just wish I was closer so you could help me out with my dressmaking as I love dressmaking but my skills have slipped these days. The fabrics for the little bags are such fun with such happy colours. I've always wanted to make a scrappy trip around the world quilt too - again more time needed! Happy stitching and keep inspiring me.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Thanks for your kind words - I need to get organised for my post next week! xx

    ReplyDelete
  15. This is such a fun post, it is lovely to know more about you. May i ask where the pattern for the pincushion is from?

    ReplyDelete
  16. What a lovely quilt your working on! I just love that pin cushion, so adorable!!! :) Such a lovely dress too....it's perfect for summer! Have a wonderful week!! xo Holly

    ReplyDelete
  17. I look forward to seeing your finished quilt Gilly, the blocks look just lovely. I am ever so glad I don't have to sew 150 small bags.... This blog hop is going viral, I have participated, too. I focused more on my writing though. It is nice to find out more about you. Cx

    ReplyDelete
  18. I absolutely love that sewing machine pincushion! Your blog is great - looking forward to discovering more of it.

    Colleen x

    PS Typical Cape Town winter weather at the moment. Very wet but I can't complain because we have had some very sunny days too.

    ReplyDelete

Thank for popping by & saying hello!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...